Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Vintage French Server using MMS Ironstone Milk Paint

Oh my goodness...this piece took my breath away when it came into my life!



It was made by Hickory Furniture and was from the 1950s!  My friends knew it would work perfectly in their very shabby beach house in the Outer Banks.  They wanted a stained top, and shabby base....




I choose MissMustardseed's Ironstone Milk Paint for this project.  I've never really used this paint before, and if definitely takes some getting used to.....But it was the PERFECT choice!  I loved how it chipped and sanded so smoothly!  


After stripping the top, the color of the wood was so gorgeous, it didn't need to be stained.  Two coats of Hemp Oil and then a light coat of wax.....


I staged this for a bathroom or guest area....Just something a little different than it's traditional use as a dining room server....


So pretty....Look at the original hardware...and check out the brass caps and wheels at the bottom of each leg!  Sigh.....


I'll definitely use MMS Milk Paints again! If you have a vintage piece that is begging for a shabby look, I'd suggest giving it a try!  Don't be afraid (as I was!).

Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, July 13, 2015

My Wells Secretary

When I had my first place (over 30 years ago) I had a lovely cherry secretary made by Wells Furniture in Roanoke, Va.  We carried the line in our family story and I admired the piece for a long time before it came to live with me.  It traveled with me to New Jersey in my first home with my hubby, and back down to Virginia, where it's been residing for the the past 22 years.  I didn't really have a good spot for it in our current house (only lived here 16 years!), so I finally decided to give it a relove.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a "Before" picture, but here are the completed transformation pictures:


I added the applique to the door that pulls down.  I thought it would add some visual interest.



Additionally, I replaced with 'bat wing' style pulls with these sweet white knobs from Hobby Lobby.


I used a base coat of French Linen and then blended Duck Egg and Paris Gray, with a smidge of Old White to create a mottled finish.

Since the base coat was French Linen, it seemed to be the logical color choice to paint the inside.


A little clear and dark wax, a good buffing...and she's all done!


I think she turned out beautifully!  It took me a long time to decide to 'relove' something from my personal stash, but it really did give this piece a new life...and it's since found a new home with a great couple!

I have a few more pieces in my personal stash that just are being neglected...Hopefully, this experience will inspire me to let go of the past, breathe some new life into them, and help find them new homes, where they'll be loved!

Thanks for stopping by!

Robin