Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Joy of Mixing Colors!

You probably know by now that unless I am using Old White/Antique White or Pure White/Snow White, I rarely use a color straight out of the can.  For the later part of 2014, I was busy with a lot of soft whites, but 2015 has brought about projects using Coco, French Linen, Paris Gray & Graphite.

My first project was a request from Laurie to paint 2 nights stands in a color that would work well in her master bedroom.  She already has a tall chest painted in a gray, and her walls are a grayish beige. She gave me a paper plate with the two colors painted on it.  I took a piece of molding, stained it, and then started mixing up different shades and combinations of Coco and French Linen.  This is what I offered her choose from:


The paint color on the left is her tall chest and the color on the right is her wall color.  The sample board on the left is French Linen with a Paris Gray wash.  The sample board on the right is a Coco base with a French Linen/Paris Gray mixture to create a wash.  Both samples were sealed and then dark wax was added.

Laurie chose the sample on the right.


My next project was a dresser, chest and night stand for a young man's bedroom.  His mom knew she wanted grays, but narrowing down the right choice of gray can be a bit of a challenge.  As it turned out Leslie Stocker's wonderful Colorways turned out to be a wonderful resource.  Her color palettes are amazing!

We settled on a combination of Paris Gray and Graphite....



The chest had some lovely details that needed to be accentuated with glaze....


Here's the dresser....


And of course, refinished tops...


The theme of gray continued onto my next project.  In this instance, Kim wanted these 3 pieces painted in a Smoky Gray.  After looking through lots of inspiration via Pinterest, she decided on a blend of French Linen and Graphite.

We started with this...


And so far I've completed the dresser and night stand.  


I'll be working on the chest this week and will hopefully get this project completed shortly!  :)

My next project will be my vision....blues/pale greens...Colors of spring!  :)

And as always, I'm studying pieces for inspiration.  I found this in my attic a few weeks ago.  Don't you just love the patina on it?



Thanks for stopping by!

Robin

13 comments:

  1. hi love your pieces! May I ask how u apply the paint to the pieces....do u use a brush, roller or spraygun ,etc. The transformations are amazing and give the timber look new life! Love coming and taking a look at what your next creation will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I use brushes for most of my pieces. I've done some mid century modern pieces that required a roller, but for the most part I use brushes. The key to getting a such lovely finishes is in the sanding in between coats of paint and top finishes. So....may I ask, are you from Australia? I love hearing the word timber from my friends over there! :)

      Delete
  2. Yes I am from Australia....how did u know? lol...Unfortunately we dont have the beautiful pieces of furniture you have ,they are hard to find and hardly ever in thrift stores! thank you for your reply!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a beautiful job. Could you share please the ratio of French Linen and Graphite you used on the chest? Thank you! Jann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jann, It's not exact but I would say approximately 1 French Linen : 2 Graphite. Have fun mixing them up yourself to see if you can find a combination you like! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Robin, Love all these pieces and the expansion of your colour palette!!!!
    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I really need to try Versailles and Country Grey...Oh one of these days! :)

      Delete
  5. Love the colors Robin and how the details pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darrielle! It's so fun to work on pieces with interesting details!

      Delete
  6. Robin, I love your work! You are an amazing artist. I was wondering what you meant when you said you sealed Laurie's samples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine for the very nice words! You've made my day! :) For Laurie's samples, I used clear wax first after the painting (which is what I should have said instead of using the phrase 'sealed it'). I feel like using wax or a top coat is 'sealing' the paint...helping to protect it. I hope that helps! And if you find you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! - Robin :)

      Delete
  7. Robin - you are such a master of color and technique. These pieces are just stunning. I just love, love, love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell my hubby, but your comments are the nicest Valentine's present! Thank you sweet Suzanne! :)

      Delete