Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Victorian Spindle Back Chairs

As I jump into this world of blogging, perhaps some background would be helpful.  How did I get started painting furniture?  After my mother-in-law passed away, we had a pair of old oak Victorian Spindle Back chairs that were too nice to toss, but too dated to sell.  We've all seen these types of chairs.  This wasn't the exact chair, but it gives you a good idea of what I was working with.






Hmmm, what could I do to enhance their value?  



After snooping around the internet, I start reading about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I’m just starting to read and learn about the paint when I get an out of the blue email from a life-long friend.  We don’t keep in touch on a regular basis…just occasional emails, 3-4 times a year. She has a solid pine bow front chest that I helped her purchase 25 years ago.  Her email reads “Remember this?  I am about to put an "Annie Sloan" paint job on it.  I'll send you a picture of the after.” 





OMG!  This is providential! Why am I receiving this email from her now, at this time in my life?  I'm supposed to paint something with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!



We don’t have a local stockiest so I have to wait for the paint to come via UPS.  I get the starter kit with Old White, Duck Egg Blue and Paris Grey.  I figure the chairs are a small project and so I'll start with a coat of Old White.  Hmmm…boring. My early technique is very heavy handed so I have filled in all of the nooks and crannies.  You don’t get a feel for the intricate carving on the back of the chair.  So let’s add some Duck Egg Blue.  

A little distressing, some highlighting using the Old White in the crevices of the rungs, clear wax and they turned out okay! 






Here you can see the cane on the seat is painted in Old White.  In retrospect, I wish I left the cane the original natural color.



The moral of the story…you just never know when you wake up each day how something as small as an out of the blue email can change your life.  Thanks, Breeze!  I guess our passion for interiors still has a hold on both of us, and brings us together regardless of how many miles separate us!


But inquiring minds want to know...what did you do with the bow front chest?  
xxoo

1 comment:

  1. So true, you never know what a new day will bring!

    ReplyDelete