Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

These Buffets are So Versatile

A vintage Drexel buffet with a custom glass top doesn't come along every day.  I held onto this piece for awhile before I started working on it.  It was from 1957 and in pretty good shape.

After much deliberation, my vision was coming clearer.  French Linen with new knobs.  I drilled some new holes for the knobs, and filled the other, unused holes.  I also wanted to try my hand at stenciling, and thought a Paris theme would be a lovely choice.


I stripped and sanded the top to reveal my favorite, flawless mahogany.  Yay!  You know the drill (if you read me regularly), Dark Walnut Stain and 4 coats of Polycrylic.  

The first coat (after shellac, to prevent bleed through) was a mixture of French Linen to Old White - 5:1.  The second coat was just the reverse:  Old White & French Linen - 5:1.  I love the look of a bit of layering....I feel it provides interest to the piece.


The knobs were from Hobby Lobby and added the perfect touch for my vision of this piece.


I never get tired of the beautiful warm tones of a refinished top.


The great thing about this piece is it can be used for so many things:  buffet, dresser, media storage, or foyer piece (if you happen to have an especially large foyer!).



As of yet, she hasn't been adopted, so she sits patiently adorning my dining room and I don't mind at all!

Thanks for stopping by!

Robin

Update:  This classic piece has found a loving home with Jessica and Bob. The funny thing is when Jessica opened the drawers and cabinet doors, she commented how the interior looked good and must not have been in bad shape.  What she didn't realize is that I put almost as much time into 'reloving' the interior, as I do the exterior.  Maybe I should start taking before and after pictures of the drawers?


Linking up at:








18 comments:

  1. Wow, this is super beautiful. I really, really need to try layering colors! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! And those new knobs, great idea. I really don't like the original knobs with these buffets, but changing them out is such a pain. The new ones you got from HL are perfect. I love your staging, especially the pic with large silver mirror. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how it turned out. Looks great with the new knobs (wish we had a Hobby Lobby in Canada).

    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this piece. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, I was a little nervous with what you might do with this piece because it was so beautiful before. You did a wonderful job! It's simply stunning. The nobs are the jewelry on this beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Although I am replying to your post, this reply is really for anyone who takes some time to stop by. I appreciate your concern for what I might do with this piece. Sometimes I come across the most gorgeous pieces that are in pristine condition and they are so cheaply priced. But I pass on them, because I think they are gorgeous just the way they are. If someone else wants to 'relove' it, so be it, but my internal barometer won't allow it! :)
      Additionally, if you feel that I have done an injustice to a piece, I welcome your opinion...I trust that it will be expressed in a respectful manner...One of my first post received a very negative comment about how I ruined some chairs. I totally respect their opinion and it was written respectfully, I welcome differences of opinion, sharing aha's and oops. That is what I hope this blog will be...not just for me, but for others.

      So THANK YOU for taking the time to stop and by, and most especially, taking the time to comment.

      Robin

      Delete
  6. love your buffet it turned out gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! You know I look forward to Mondays and all of your wonderful finds at West Furniture Revival. So glad you stopped by! :)

      Delete
  7. You did a fantastic job on this buffet. Yes, it may have been a 1957 Drexel buffet, but it desperately needed upcycling. The colors, the knobs, the stenciling are just charming. I saw your post at Silver Pennies. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann Marie. I'm glad you stopped by from Danielle's Finding Silver Pennies party!

      Delete
  8. What a big beautiful buffet! You did a wonderful job breathing new life into her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Sharon...and thank you so much for the feature! :)

      Delete
  9. What sheen of polycrylic do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the Minwax Polycrylic - Satin finish. I hope this helps! Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete
  10. Well deserved feature today on Elizabeth & Co.! It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the sale! Still one of my favorite buffets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful piece!! Love the color! I also love the color of the walls, it looks like a greige. Do you mind telling me what it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, The walls are a grayish beige and I have been so happy with it. It's a color I've been using since the early 90s! Ha! It is a Benjamin Moore color...and back in the day they used a number system. It is color 944.
      Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete