Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Toning Down Bright Colors

I picked up a great set of Kling solid hard rock maple bedroom furniture, which included a chest, vanity, stool and mirror.  I didn't want this to be refinished as a 'set' so I painted the vanity, mirror and stool together.  I'll show you the 'relove' of the chest in a later post.  Here's the picture of the vanity....


I loved the legs, fluting on the sides, quality construction, but wasn't crazy about the knobs.  As always, I stripped the top and although it was maple, it was in good shape and decided to stain it.

I've been enjoying using the Milk Paints from General Finishes.  I love the silky smooth way it goes on, and easy clean up.  So Halcyon Blue was my vision for this piece.  I applied one coat of ASCP Old Ochre and then a coat of the Halcyon Blue.  Ug!  The Halcyon Blue is way brighter than what I envisioned!  What to do?  I'm thinking a wash of a toned down blue would soften the look...so let's test it out on my trusty paper plate.


Yep!  I'm liking the look of the ASCP Duck Egg Blue as a wash over the Halcyon.


I had a couple of options for the fabric on the stool & knobs for the drawers..  The fabric on the pillow pictured here was one option along with the knobs pictured here....


But my Facebook family voted on a paisley fabric (thanks, Mary & to everyone else who weighed in!).


And the customer who adopted the vanity voted on glass knobs:


They didn't need the stool or mirror, so I still have those two pieces....but they loved the color, fluting detail and refinished top.  Their floors are hardwood and they had been looking for a blue desk with wood top.  I used the Minwax Dark Walnut stain, and the entire piece received the General Finishes High Performance Poly Top Coats.  I really like that product!




So there you have it....a wash in a softer, more muted shade was perfect for toning down the brightness of the original blue.

Thanks for stopping by!

Robin

Linking up at:








5 comments:

  1. Hi Robin! The vanity looks amazing! I'm confused about which blue you used - was it Corinth or Halcyon from General Finishes Milk Paint? You talk about using Corinth, but your paper plate has Halcyon written on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pointing this out! I used Corinth on a previous project and just plain old zoned out while writing this post! I have updated it to reflect the Halcyon Blue...Thank you again!

      Delete
  2. Would love to feature your desk, love it! Let me know if it's ok
    lauren

    ReplyDelete